At Kurten Veterinary Service, it is our policy to take every possible step to ensure that our patients receive the very best pharmaceutical products available. Veterinarians are required to have a valid client/patient/veterinarian relationship in order to prescribe certain medications for patients. We carry numerous prescription products, veterinary prescription diets, and products typically necessary for both the prevention and treatment of various animal ailments.
Our suppliers stand behind their products when they are used as directed and purchased from a licensed veterinarian, a guarantee that other well-known drug warehouses cannot provide. Many of these catalog/telephone/online pet pharmacy sources (those sources not operated by veterinary hospitals or clinics and herein referred to as “discount houses”) have disputable reputations, and we feel our clients should be aware of the risks they are taking when ordering from these “discount houses.”
KVS prides itself in offering our clients professional, superior service. If you decide to purchase your product at one of the “discount houses” and request a written prescription from us, a prescription will be written for you according to the following guidelines:
- All written prescriptions must be picked up at KVS by the requesting client.
- To avoid any potential doctor-patient confidentiality issues, we will not communicate (telephone, fax or email) with “discount houses.” You will be responsible for sending the written prescription to the “discount house.” This includes any requests for prescription refills.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that the prescription is filled, labeled, shipped and used correctly. We cannot be responsible if the “discount houses” send counterfeit or unauthorized products to you.
- We will not become involved in any product failure issues for products purchased through these “discount houses.” This includes any prescription or nonprescription products.
To assist you in making informed decisions when placing orders for your pet’s pharmaceutical needs, we offer the following information:
- Many “discount houses” cannot obtain specific veterinary products directly from the manufacturer. Please be aware many have been known to manipulate their words as to how certain veterinary products were obtained, e.g., they may report the product is from “x” manufacturer, safely avoiding that they were not purchased directly from “x” manufacturer.
- Often, sales from “discount houses” are through non-approved channels; most product guarantees from manufacturers are null and void if their products are obtained through non-approved channels. This includes the guarantee reimbursement programs for flea control as well as all heartworm and intestinal parasite claims.
- Most “discount houses” will not divulge from whom they are purchasing their veterinary specific products.
- Pharmaceuticals manufactured and labeled for use in other countries (namely Australia) have been illegally diverted and sold through many of these “discount houses” in the United States.
- Counterfeit products have been produced. More information may be found on The Environmental Protection Agency’s websites: ww.epa.gov/pets/avoid-counterfeit-pesticide-products-dogs-and-cats.
- The FDA and State Boards of Pharmacy have cited some “discount houses” for violating prescribing procedures. One very large “discount house” was fined over $100,000.00 by the EPA and Florida Department of Health. You will find more information regarding this on the following website: https://www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/s020601a.aspx The Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners and the Texas Pharmacy Board have also sued this particular “discount house.” You will find more information concerning this lawsuit at the following website: http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/texas-slaps-petmed-express-with-lawsuit
- Please also note the following relevant websites. https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdtx/pr/printing-and-packaging-business-owner-convicted-trafficking-counterfeit-veterinary
Kurten Veterinary Service looks forward to serving your special family member’s pharmaceutical needs. If you should have any questions regarding the above policies, please contact us at (979) 589-2777.